Holy man. Another year…another week filled with first day of school pics on my Facebook newsfeed. This time, it wasn’t just my friends who are grad school or getting phd’s, but some of my friends’ kids! EEK. I constantly have to remind myself that I’m not a young buck anymore. I’m 26, not 21! The crazy thing is, I don’t feel like I’m getting any older. Honestly, I feel freer than I did in college. I am so much more light hearted and am constantly challenging myself to try new things, something I didn’t allow myself to do in college. For example, I used to be on such a rigorous eating schedule that I never allowed myself to try new things…even if they were healthy, just like this burrito. Wowzers have times changed!
BURRITOS FOR THE WIN HALLELUJAH.
^^ Look at all those amazing ingredients in this burrito! Let’s lay it all out…
- fluffy eggs
- roasted sweet potatoes
- spicy harissa
- creamy black bean paste
- sweet corn
Since this recipe makes 8 burritos, I got two different types of tortillas: whole wheat and whole wheat with spinach. Feel free to get any kind of tortillas your heart desires…or even make your own!
The black bean paste is super simple to make and the start of these burritos! It’s very similar to FFF’s Black Bean Hummus. While it makes for the perfect protein boost in these vegetarian breakfast burritos, it would also be a delicious dip or spread on a cracker. Guess what you need to make it? Your handy dandyyyyyy FOOD PROCESSOR. Don’t have one? Get on! Here’s my fav. It’s worth it, people. The key to making the best black bean spread using enough olive oil until it’s creamy as can be!
I kept mine a little bit chunky because I like a little texture.
PS: did you know that in a 1-cup servings of black beans, there’s 15g of protein and 15g of fiber? Pretty stellar for a vegetarian ingredient!
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt, to taste
- 2.5 cups black beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- juice from a half lime (~ 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 eggs, large
- splash of milk, any kind
- ½ tablespoon EVOO
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) green chiles
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) harissa sauce
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) of corn
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking pan.
- Prep sweet potatoes by dicing them into 1-inch chunks. Spread on pan and season with spices.
- Use your hands to toss the sweet potatoes so that they are evenly covered in the olive oil and spices. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until you can pierce with a fork. Set aside
- Place all ingredients in a high speed food processor and process on high until smooth. Add more olive oil if you need to thin your paste out. ***Place about half the black bean paste in a tupperware to eat later, you’ll only use about half of it for this recipe!
- Prep scrambled eggs by heating about ½ tablespoon of EVOO in a large pan. Add in yellow onion and sauté until almost translucent.
- Crack 8 eggs into a bowl and add a splash of milk. Whisk. Then, add into pan and cook for a few minutes, scraping the sides often with a spatula until cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay out 8 tortillas on your counter top. Spread on about a tablespoon of black bean mash and a tablespoon of harissa sauce onto each tortilla. Then, add sweet potatoes, egg, a tablespoon of corn, a tablespoon of green chiles, and a tablespoon of chopped onion.
- Wrap like a burrito and eat immediately or *freeze later.