Thank you for kind responses to Sunday’s weekend reading post. In the spirit of that post—a spirit of R&R—this post is going to be short and sweet, so that I can get back to taking it easy. And after all, how much actually needs to be said about a really great dressing?
This dressing is a hybrid of two favorites: the balsamic tahini dressing that I posted here years ago, and the maple mustard dressing in Power Plates (which you can find in this recipe). It resembles the former thanks to, well, balsamic and tahini. Like the latter, it’s got a touch of sweetness (this time I used a pitted date for that magical caramel flavor, but if you’re whisking instead of blending, you can use maple syrup instead) and some Dijon mustard.
It’s sort of the best of both worlds, in other words, and I’ve been calling it my “everything dressing” lately for obvious reasons. I do tend to go through these phases for with a new favorite dressing or sauce; for a while it was this sweet Dijon vinaigrette, and for months it was yum sauce. I’m more than happy to ride this current dressing wave for as long as it lasts.
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic or a pinch of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large pitted date or 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients in a powerful blender till smooth. Alternatively, you can whisk the ingredients together till smooth (if you do this, use syrup in place of the date). Dressing will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
“Everything” includes using the dressing on salads, pouring it on bowls, and dipping vegetable slices into it for snacking. Another favorite use has been to dress a bowl of greens and veggies and beans, then stuff the whole mixture into a whole grain pita pocket or wrap. It’s one of my favorite easy lunches for the summer months: a perfect midway point between a sandwich and salad.
If you try it, I hope it’ll prove to be—if not an everything dressing—something that’s as versatile for you as it has been for me. Happy Tuesday, and more soon.