Author Notes: This grilled cheese sandwich is filled with flavor, from the savory bacon to the creamy funky stilton cheese to the earthy sweetness of medjool dates. (In the (…more) —Josh Cohen
Makes 1 sandwich
- 3slices thick cut bacon
- 2slices rustic sourdough bread
- Stilton blue cheese (enough cheese to thinly cover both slices of bread)
- 1handful pitted medjool dates
- 1handful arugula
- 1tablespoon butter (plus more as needed)
- Set your oven to 325°F. Lay the bacon on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Cook the bacon in the oven until it looks golden and slightly crispy around the edges. When the bacon looks ready, remove it from the oven and set it aside.
- When the bacon is cool enough to handle, you can assemble the sandwich. Take one piece of bread, and add enough blue cheese to thinly coven the entire slice. Next, add a layer of dates, followed by the bacon. Top with a handful of arugula. You will now have what appears to be an open faced sandwich.
- Take your other piece of bread, and add enough blue cheese to thinly cover the entire slice. Carefully take this slice of bread and fold it on top of the other half of your sandwich. If some of the cheese falls out, just stuff it back in.
- Set a small skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Maneuver the skillet so that melted butter has coated the entire skillet. When the butter begins to bubble and sizzle, place your sandwich inside the skillet. Cook, undisturbed, until the bottom piece of bread is golden and crispy. Flip the sandwich. If the skillet looks a little dry, add another tablespoon of butter. When both sides of the grilled cheese look golden and toasty, and the cheese looks melty, remove the grilled cheese from the skillet. Serve and enjoy.