- 3egg whites
- 2tablespoons caster sugar(Aussie tablespoon is 4 teaspoons)
- pink food coloring, a few drops
- 1 1⁄4cups icing sugar (do not use icing sugar mixture)
- 1cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2tablespoons icing sugar, extra
White Chocolate ganache
- 100g white eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2tablespoons thickened cream
- To make the white chocolate ganache- stir the chocolate and the thickened cream in a saucepan over a low heat until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until the mixture is spreadable.
- For the macaroon cookies- Preheat oven to 150°C or 130°C if using a fan-forced oven. Grease oven trays and line them with baking paper.
- Ensure mixing bowl is thoroughly clean. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar and food colouring, beat until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Fold in the sifted icing sugar and almond meal, in two batches.
- Spoon the mixture into large piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain tube.
- Pipe 36 x 4cm rounds, 2cm apart, onto the trays. (keep the circles as uniform as possible as this will make your macaroons look uniform and make pairing easier).
- Tap the trays on the bench top to allow macaroons to spread slightly. Dust with sifted icing sugar and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake macaroons about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes on the trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Sandwich macaroons with the ganache.
- Dust with a little sifted icing sugar to serve.
- Makes 18.