This is the kind of dinner I spend the day fantasizing about (and it just so happens to be what I’ve always wished poolside snack shacks would serve): **freck (…more) —Sarah Jampel
Serves 4 to 6, as a snack
- 2tablespoons oil or butter, divided
- 1shallot, thinly sliced
- 1jalapeño, seeds and white membranes removed, thinly sliced
- 1/4teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1clove garlic, smashed, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1pound cooking greens, like kale, mustard greens, dandelion, chard, ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 1teaspoon salt
- 12small corn tortillas
- 1cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4pound grated cheddar cheese
- Salsa, lime wedges, and/or guacamole, for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet. When hot, add the shallot, chile flakes, and garlic. Once the shallot is starting to soften and color, 3 to 5 minutes, add the washed greens, with water still clinging to their leaves. Season with salt and cook until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes, then set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon oil or butter in a skillet until shimmering/melted. Tilt the pan to distribute evenly across the surface. Add as many tortillas as will comfortably fit and cook on one side until they have softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Distribute cheese over the tortilla, then add a few tablespoons of the cooked greens to one side. Fold the tortilla in half with a spatula to cover the greens.
- Cook until the tortilla begins to brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes, and then flip onto the other side and cook until the tortilla browns on that side and the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Repeat until you’ve used all of the tortillas.
- Keep warm in a 250° F until all of the quesadillas have been made. Serve with salsa, lime wedges, and/or guacamole or avocado slices.