- 5lbs extra-lean short rib of beef, cut across bone in twelve 3- to 4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4teaspoon black pepper
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 3large leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2cups mango nectar, plus
- 3tablespoons mango nectar
- 1⁄2cup tequila
- 1⁄2cup beef broth
- 1canned chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1large scallion, chopped
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown ribs, 7 to 10 minutes. Put in large deep ovenproof pot.
- Drain the fat from skillet, and then heat the oil over medium-high. Add leeks; saute until browned, 8 minutes. Add 2 cups nectar, tequila, broth and chipotle; simmer 1 minute. Pour over the ribs.
- Bake, covered, in 325 degree oven 3 hours or until the ribs are very tender; turn ribs over every 45 minutes.
- Remove pot from oven. Let ribs cool in sauce, uncovered, 30 minutes. Remove ribs from sauce and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, discard fat from sauce. Add remaining 3 tablespoons nectar and ribs to sauce. Reheat over medium heat, 20 minutes. Top with scallion.