Author Notes: Behold, the only sane reason to turn on your oven for the next three months. Jodi’s pound cake has the steadfast sturdiness of a butter cake and, thanks to a (…more) —Emma Laperruque
Makes 2 loaves or 1 bundt
- 3cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling the pan
- 14.4ounces all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon salt
- 8ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 6large eggs
- 10ounces sour cream
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- Generously spray or butter your pan(s) of choice. Add a really big scoop of sugar and tap around—as you would with flour—until you’re left with a thin, even coat.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for a few minutes until cohesive and just beginning to become fluffy, scraping as needed. Add the eggs—one at a time, mixing well after each—and scrape again. Add the sour cream and vanilla and stir to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir until they just disappear and the batter looks smooth—don’t overmix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° F until a thin, serrated knife (not a toothpick!) inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool until you can touch the pan without burning yourself, then turn out to cool completely.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!