Author Notes: Kachimoru was a dish we’d have on the table almost everyday back at my grandmother’s house in Kerala, when we’d visit in the summer. A simple, spiced yogurt c (…more) —Anisha Rachel Oommen
- 1/2cup water
- 1cup yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 2tablespoons coconut oil
- 1teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 8 to 10curry leaves
- 5shallots, chopped
- 1/2-inchpiece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3green chiles, slit down their lengths
- 1teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1pinch ground fenugreek
- Beat the water and yogurt together until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Heat a wok or earthen pot over medium-high. When hot, add the coconut oil.
- Throw in the mustard and fenugreek seeds. When they begin to splutter, add in the curry leaves, shallots, sliced ginger, and green chiles. Fry for a couple of minutes, until very fragrant.
- Add chile powder, turmeric, and ground fenugreek and fry for a minute or two.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the yogurt mixture. Serve warm with rice.