Mushroom Toasts | Health Foods
- 1lb mushroom (wild mushrooms, or a combination of cultivated mushrooms including portobellas, cremini, oyster, shi)
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2tablespoons olive oil (or more as needed)
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4cup finely chopped shallots or 1⁄4 cup red onions or 1⁄4 cup white onion
- 2teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2cup creme fraiche (I used recipe #171932) or 1⁄2 cup sour cream (I used Creme Fraiche)
- 1tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 12 -18slices baguette, cut 1/2 inch on diagonal
- 1 1⁄2tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Wipe any dirt from the mushrooms with a damp cloth or paper towel.
- Cut off any tough stems; half smaller mushrooms and quarter larger ones to make approximate even sizes.
- Heat butter and 1 Tbsp of the oil in a 10-12 inch deep saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, until any liquid has evaporated. If the mushrooms become too dry add a drizzle of oil.
- Transfer mushrooms to a cutting board, let cool a few minutes, and chop coarsely.
- Wipe out the pan and set over medium heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add shallots, thyme and a pinch of salt and stir for a minute or two until shallots are tender and slightly golden.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and stir in the creme fraiche to heat through without bringing to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parsley and more salt and black pepper to taste.
- Note: If you are making the mushrooms in advance stir in only 1/4 cup of the creme fraiche now and add the other 1/4 cup when reheating later.
- Just before serving position oven rack 6 inches below the broiler element and heat broiler.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil; Broil for a minute or two to toast.
- Spread warm mushroom mixture over toasts and sprinkle on the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Note: Do not at any time overheat the mushroom mixture once the creme fraiche has been added or the cream will break.