- 6cups large yellow squash andzucchini, diced
- vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1large onion, chopped
- 4tablespoons butter
- 1cup crushed butter cracker
- 1teaspoon house seasoning, recipe follows
- 1⁄2cup sour cream
- 1cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1cup salt
- 1⁄4cup black pepper
- 1⁄4cup garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line a colander with a clean tea towel Place the cooked squash in the colander. Squeeze out the excess moisture from the squash. Set aside. (This step is very important so it’s not so soggy. You can just put it between paper towels or napkins.).
- In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- HOUSE SEASONING: 1 CUP SALT, 1/4 CUP BLACK PEPPER, 1/4 CUP GARLIC POWDER – Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.