Prepared the right way, oatmeal can fuel you until lunch. This recipe adds quinoa to the mix for an extra kick of protein. And Thug Kitchen suggests you embrace your inner outlaw and add an assortment of whatever you want: fresh fruit, nuts, maple syrup, brown sugar, etc.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
1. Heat up water in a stovetop kettle or in the microwave until it’s near boiling.
2. Strain and rinse quinoa.
3. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add oats and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the hot water and quinoa. Bring all to a boil.
4. Once it’s boiling, turn down the heat and let simmer, uncovered. Let cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat. Add almond milk.
6. Taste. Allow yourself a moment to be in awe. Then, pour a bowl and enjoy!