- 1cup quinoa, cleaned (6 oz)
- 6cups water
- 2egg whites
- 1cup nonfat milk
- 2tablespoons dry non-fat powdered milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4cup sugar, plus
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4cup slivered almonds or 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄4cup dried currant
- 1⁄8teaspoon cinnamon
- cooking spray
- Place quinoa in a bowl of water. Begin the cleaning by rubbing the grain together between your hands. Drain and repeat several times. You will know the quinoa is clean when the water is no longer milky after rubbing. This step is essential for removing the bitter layer that surrounds the grain.
- Bring quinoa and 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until grains are translucent, 13 to 15 minutes. Drain well in a sieve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To measure milk, place powdered milk in measuring cup and add milk to one cup. Stir together to dissolve milk powder. If you do not have powdered milk, its best to use whole milk.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla, 3/4 cup sugar, and salt in a large bowl until just combined. Mix in quinoa, nuts, and currants. Pour into a buttered 9-inch square baking pan prepared with a coat of cooking spray.
- Stir together cinnamon and remaining tablespoon sugar and sprinkle over top of pudding. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, around 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.