- 1lb chicken breast, diced
- 1medium onion, minced
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8(8 inch) flour tortillas, softened
- 1 1⁄2cups grated monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1⁄4cup butter
- 1⁄4cup flour
- 1(15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1cup sour cream
- 1(4 ounce) canchopped green chilies or 2 fresh chili peppers, minced
In a frying pan, cook chicken and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until chicken is just done.
Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese to each tortilla.
Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in a 9×13″ baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux, stir and cook until bubbly, and gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and green chilies.
Pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese (a baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400° F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.