- 1(9 inch) deep dish pie shells, baked (a 10-inch is even better!)
- 1 1⁄4cups 18% table cream (or use half and half cream)
- 1 1⁄4cups coconut milk (or use 2-1/2 cups of 18% table cream or half and half cream)
- 1cup sweetened flaked coconut(use soft finely flaked coconut only)
- 3⁄4cup white sugar, divided
- 1⁄4cup cornstarch
- 2teaspoons coconut extract (optional)
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 1cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2tablespoons toastedsweetened flaked coconut
- In a saucepan, heat half and half with the coconut milk over medium heat, until steaming.
- In a large bowl,whisk 1/2 cup sugar with the cornstarch; whisk in the eggs until blended.
- Gradually mix in hot milk mixture into the egg mixture to thin, in a steady stream.
- Return the mixture to saucepan; cook, over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened to pudding consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl; stir in coconut extract (if using) and vanilla then mix in 1 cup coconut.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding mixture; refrigerate until cool.
- In a bowl, whip whipping cream with 1/4 cup of the remaining sugar to soft peaks.
- Set 1-1/2 cups of the whipped cream aside to use for topping.
- Fold the remaining whipped cream into the cooled filling; spread into pie shell.
- Using a piping bag, or with a spoon, garnish top with reserved whipping cream.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set or for up to 1 day.