This grain-free apple bread is made upside down style, which makes it perfect for dessert. It also makes a great breakfast served with a cup of coffee!
Just the usual shenanigans over here.
(PS. A fedora is a great for any bad hair day)
Playing, reading, hanging out, some great workouts…
and this apple bread.
Grain-Free Apple Bread
I’ve had a lot of fun experimenting with grain-free breads lately, and have fallen in love with using almond meal. It’s an easy way to add healthy fat and fiber to a dish, and yields a dense, nutty texture. I’m a huge fan.
I had this vision of an upside down apple bread and decided to make it happen. I sliced up some apples, placed them on the bottom of a baking dish, topped with batter and said a prayer to the grain-free bread gods.
The verdict? Amazing.
It’s fantastic on its own with a cup of coffee or as a dessert addition to lunch.
This salad with miso dressing is another story in itself. I’m obsessed.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we have! <3
Grain-free upside down apple bread
A sweet and nutty bread, with a filling dose of healthy fats and fiber
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35
For the bottom layer
- 2 small Fuji or Gala apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the batter
- 1 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a small baking dish (mine was 8×8) with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the apple sliced with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon.
- 3. Spread a thin layer of the apple mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.
- 4. In the same bowl, add your almond meal, flax, sea salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Use a fork to quickly combine the ingredients before stirring in the eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
- 5. Pour the batter over the apple layer. Use the back of the spoon to create an even layer.
- 6. Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and bubbly.
- This would also be lovely with berries, dried fruit or chocolate chips ?
- Serving Size: 6
Don’t forget to check in for today’s workout and enter this week’s giveaway!
See ya later today with a Fashion post with my latest HM finds ?
Do you like to make bread or buy it? I never thought I’d make breads at home -or… bread-type creations- but I’ve been surprised with how inexpensive and easy it is. I always buy brown rice tortillas, though. They’re my favorite for egg burritos ?